Tinderbox supports a number of methods to interchange data with and inter-connect to DEVONthink.
- '.tsv'file format. Behave like text '.txt' files when dragged to Tinderbox, using the tab-delimited data method.
- '.opml' file format. This follows normal OPML import methods.
- Single or multiple notes can be pasted or dragged from DEVONthink Pro whilst retaining their tags (as $Tags). The created note's $URL is set to source item's DEVONthink URI.
- A Tinderbox note can be set to auto-fetch a DEVONthink note. Set $AutoFetch to
trueand $URL to the DEVONthink URI of the desired note. When Tinderbox routinely fetches Web data, it will also reimport the text and name of the DEVONthink note.
- Improvements to imported text styling:
- Using DEVONthink Office Pro 2.9.15+, the note created imports the DEVONthink Creation time as $SourceCreated and the DEVONthink Modification time as $SourceModified.
- $Tags import from tags in from items watched in DEVONthink folders.
- Watched DEVONthink items populate $URL with the item's DEVONthink URL (previously it was DEVONthink's Note ID).
- Dragging image items from DEVONthink to Tinderbox creates a note containing the image.
- DEVONthink text items that exceed ~10,000 words are not automatically imported.
- Dragging Freemind (.mm) items from DEVONthink to Tinderbox imports the Freemind maps. Previously, the DEVONthink item, had to be dropped onto the desktop first, in order to create a file.
- Watched Group. A watched group allow for the import of a single group of DEVONthink records. The group's items are generated as child notes of the watched group container in Tinderbox. Multiple watched groups are allowed though be mindful heavy use of this feature may affect overall performance, i.e. the feature is not designed as a fully-synced system but rather for importing/updating some DEVONthink data. Notes created via this method are read-only, inheriting $ReadOnly state from their 'Imported From DEVONthink' built-in prototype.
- Export. Tinderbox notes can be copied/pasted to DEVONthink. Copy the note(s) in Tinderbox. In DEVONthink use Data menu, New ▸ from clipboard (Cmd+N). The following Tinderbox data maps to DEVONthink:
- The DEVONthink Item ID.
- The DEVONthink URL pseudo-protocol.
DEVONthink items dragged into Tinderbox import their DEVONthink label string into the attribute, $DEVONthinkLabel.
DEVONthink import uses a dedicated built-in prototype (as with watched DEVONthink folders). This allows customisation of Tinderbox's behaviour when importing from DEVONthink v3.
When dragging an item from DEVONthink, Tinderbox will populate the new note's $SourceURL with the URL of the dragged resource.
More on DEVONthink integration