Tinderbox supports Sonny Software's Bookends reference and citation manager.
To drag a reference into Tinderbox, use Cmd+Opt+drag from the Bookmark window into a Tinderbox view or a Tinderbox text window. N.B. Bookends requires the Cmd+Opt keys to be depressed before clicking on the item to drag; otherwise, the import to Tinderbox does not occur correctly.
RIS reference import (and option-drags from Bookends) extract the reference's abstract, if present, and place it in $Abstract.
Drag imports from Bookends are coerced to $TextColor, which improves interoperability in dark mode.
From v9.3.0, with Bookends import $Authors was previously sorted in alphabetical order, but now respects the order in which the authors are listed in the reference.
Using Bookends v11.2.9+
Use a Cmd+Opt+Drag, ensuring the Cmd+Opt are depressed before the drag starts (otherwise different data is loaded). The modified drag will result in:
- creating a new note.
- setting the note's $URL to a Bookends reference URI
- set the $Text of the note to formatted Bookends reference. The styling/layout used will depend on the user's settings in Bookends. In most cases the result is the reference source data formatted for citation in that reference format (e.g. ACM, IEEE, etc.). With some references export format choices, like BibTeX, the $text appears to be a form of code but this is the correct export for that format. Notes created by ⌘+⌥-drag from Bookends display the imported citation in the $TextFont, not Helvetica.
- WARNING: this will replace any existing $Text in the note.
- apply the 'Reference' built-in Prototype (adding the latter to the TBX if necessary). Note this process is linked to the Network feature, so multiple newly added reference notes my appear to set their prototype one at a time, i.e. there may be a short delay before all new notes are prototyped correctly.
- set a variety of reference-related attributes to Bookends-derived values (mainly attributes from the References group).
- if an imported reference from Bookends is not valid unicode, Tinderbox rejects the import rather than risk a corrupt value of $ReferenceRIS.
Support for dragging multiple items.