In most the main view types (Outline, Map, Chart) there is a small icon on or near the currently selected note that allows the link tool to be invoked; in addition all views have a link tool icon on the bar at the bottom of the view window. By view, the on-view link tool for the current note is:
- Outline. Between the icon and note title of the selected note.
- Map. Centre bottom of the currently selected note.
- Chart. At the right end of the currently selected note's box.
- Timeline. At the right end of the currently selected note.
- Treemap. None - use link tool.
- Explorer. As per view type in left pane.
The on-note link icon used in Outline, Map, Chart and Explorer view is of a more graphical type, a down-facing arrow.
Clicking the link starts the linking process. The next click should either be a target note (view item or text window) or onto the link parking spaces on the toolbar.
Once a the link tool is active and link is being dragged it can be cancelled by clicking the Escape key shortcut.