It is possible to drag individual notes, or whole selections/hierarchies of notes between TBXs. The result is always a copy. To move notes completely involves a drag/copy and then a delete in the source file. Dragging a container will carry along all its descendants.
You should consider these factors before starting such a drag/drop:
- Font face/size. If this has been set explicitly, the copied notes will retain the parent's settings, although the scaling set in the Preference Magnify Fonts does not transfer. If there is significant formatting but the wrong font is received in the target TBX, it may well be quicker to reset this via an edit of the TBX's XML source than by using the Font palette as changing a font also removes any bold/italic within the current selection.
- Links. Any links connecting notes within the dragged set will be retained. Neat!
- System attributes. These are mostly transferred. Calculated attributes will be re-calculated for the new patent. Things like map xPos/yPos may vary. Simple attributes like Color will be retained.
- User attributes. These will only be copied if the receiving TBX already has that user attribute correctly defined. Put another way, adding a note will not cause new attributes to be created in the receiving TBX. Note that you can drag/drop attributes.
- Prototypes. If you wish to maintain prototype inheritance for the transferred notes, ensure their prototypes are transferred before or with the notes themselves. Depending on the complication of the source TBX prototype inheritance it may make more sense to manually recreate the prototypes - or edit copied versions before moving the actual data.
[Last updated: 14 Dec 2009, using v5.0]
Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License
[See aTbRef CC licence Attribution/Waiver info info]